Pickers Paradise


My picks-an old sprinkler (wonder if it still works?) and a childs apron. When Daniel, the owner of the Star Mill saw my apron he told me a childhood memory of his about a farm boys first trip to the city. It's a memory he will never forget and now I won't either. It made us laugh!

A week or so ago my friend, Diana told me about a show on the history channel called "The Pickers". It's about two middle aged men who travel back country roads looking for treasures. If they see an old building or barn they just stop and tell the owners that they are pickers and could they look around. Then they will barter with them and try and get them to sell. The people they meet are a breed of their own. They are so fun and that only makes the show much more interesting. As my hubby and I watched it for the first time he could tell that I was just like a kid in a candy store. By the time it was over he was convinced that when he retires that I am sure to have us on the road being "PICKERS". I have to admit sounds like fun. This is my new favorite show. Yesterday the Star Mill Antiques reopened. Romping from building to building and searching the yard is the closest thing to being a true picker. Except for here you know that everything is for sale. You can do some bartering. My husband calls him the 'junk man'. As my friends and I arrived you could feel the excitement in the air as the 'hunt was on'! Also, just visiting with the employees is a hi lite of our day. One of my friends is battling breast cancer right now and just being there was such good therapy for her. In fact, she was so busy visiting with everyone that she didn't buy a thing. I think that has to be a first for her. For the last few years I have been collecting old sprinklers. I think I only have three or four. I displayed them on the top of my potting bench. When we build a new playhouse I think I would like to put them on a shelf. I found a "SWEET" one and a cute little childrens apron. Sure to be a playhouse hit! I know that picking isn't for everyone, but for those of us who love it, what fun! My mother-in-law use to say that she didn't like old stuff in her home because it just reminded her of hard times. She did however like that I loved it. Remember, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Hope to go picking again soon!

4 comments

Peg said...

I am a good nose picker, does that count?

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Peg,
As you probably well know. You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends nose.

falco said...

that picken show is my favortie.

McFadden said...

Yes, I enjoyed the show also.

Instagram