Pioneer Day

Hello my friends,
here in Utah on July 24th we celebrate and honor our pioneer heritage.
 
This year I had fun creating a few vignettes that presented the feel of a pioneer home.
 
I always enjoy decorating my family room mantle.
 
My great grandparents, George and Jenny Freestone had the first two beehives in Vernal, UT.
 

 
I found this fun poster at Urban Renewal in St. George, UT  It is the same size as the bird one that hubby had made a frame for me earlier this year so I was able to switch it out.
 
The double frame was a 'happy' accident.  He was making a frame out of old barn wood for my sister and accidently made it too small.  He brought it in and laid it on top of my chippy white frame to see how much smaller it was.  Well, we loved the look!

It takes center stage on the mantle.

 
On one side I added an old scale, a depression glass mixer, and some of my jadite collection.  The bowl was a new find at Fleology.
 
 
An old washboard, time worn bowls, a vintage tin, and a transferware creamer all help to take us back in time.

 
 
 
You can see that I am always tweaking.  :)  Added the washboard with childs undies and the jadite bowl later.
 
 
 
On the hearth I placed a butter churn, my rustic bench and topped it with an old shoe form and the darling pillows gifted to me by Jo from Annes Attic .  I love the rusty buckle!
 
 
Sweet friend, Amanda gave me this crochet runner for my birthday so now the stool looks like this.
Do you prefer one over the other?

 
I recently bought this printer block cabinet.  An instagram friend confirmed that's what it was.
 
 
The sections are so small that I filled it with anything tiny that would work. 

 
I bought it off of Vintage Yard Sale Utah on fb. When I went to pick it up it was alot smaller than what I had thought.  The gal was so sweet and said that I didn't have to buy it, but in the end I just loved it's chippy charm!

 

 
Here's a few more vignettes I have made with a pioneer feel.
 

Old bottles and a Utah plate I found at a thrift a couple years ago.


 
A bee sampler bought at the cheese factory in Beaver, UT.


An ode to bottling and preserving.

 
 

 
I gathered some of my blue ball jars and an old wooden bucket inside the entertainment center.
 
 
Old seltzer bottles sit on top of my cabinet made from old windows and vintage pieces.

 
Inside is a blue seltzer bottle, a bee pillow, and a plate that I bought when I attended the Nauvoo temple open house.

 
Another grouping of blue bottles, (love those blue bottles), hee-hee!
A Utah red transferware plate and another sampler (one that I stitched) sit next to the t.v.


 
And of course, some enamelware and dishes!


This is my newest addition.  Picked up on our CO road trip.
 



a bit of vintage in the kitchen.
Notice the tiny sewing machine S&P shakers?
 
I'm going to whip up something yummy with those luscious peaches!
 

 
I've had this old pioneer décor for a couple weeks.  After Pioneer Day it will all be changed.
 
I laugh at what a 'theme' gal I am.  I just go from one theme to the next.
 
I've got a new theme brewing in my mind.  lol!  Let's just say, that you might think I'm a little bit fruity!
 
Till next time,
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 

26 comments

Junkchiccottage said...

Jan all of your vignettes are so sweet always. Love those enamel pitchers. Enjoy Pioneer Days how fun.
Kris

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Your home is nearly like seeing a museum! (For now, right?) LOL.

Jann, don't change - visiting your blog is SUCH a treat and we love love love that you do themes so well, and so often.

Huge hugs. ♥

Christine said...

I echo Michele...don't change because your blog is so much fun!

Gayle said...

Hubby's grandpa had honey bees in Roosevelt - fun coincidence!

Unknown said...

Jann,

Lovely vignettes! Can't pick a favorite, as they are all equally wonderful! You have a knack for combining items for great effect!!

Joy Junktion said...

Your creative talents, Jann, and beautiful pieces have been worked together for fabulous pioneer charm! Love! Blessings, Cindy

Patti said...

Everything is so cute! I love the black tiered thingy with the enamelware on it! And, the printers cabinet is amazing. You put together the cutest displays. My parents have a preschool. It's called Busy Bee - so I have been making and buying her bee things forever! So cute!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love the printer block cabinet!! I've never seen one like yours...it's awesome!!
~Cindy

Sue said...

Do you have any hints for how to clean the old bottles. We unearthed a couple in the ground under an old house we tore down and they are still dirty and cloudy after multiple times soaking in soapy water?

Unknown said...

Jann, you are the "theme queen"! Love them all.

Cynthia said...

What a fun post. Love everything but you know me and a great clocche. Have a great weekend

Cindy

Art and Sand said...

Everything looks great.

My favorite is the printer block cabinet. I could have fun with that.

My cousin Danny was the postmaster in Vernal, Utah for many years. He was my age so I don't know if he was there when you were growing up.

Rose L said...

It is always nice to fill your home with things of memories and what makes you smile! I am (gulp!) 63 today and got myself a gift. It will show up on my blog eventually after cleaning and painting!

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Jann, your mantle is filled with my favorite kind of treasures! Simple, old-fashioned reminders of life in the pioneer days. What a lovely way to honor the past! ♡

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You must have a secret room in the wall that you keep all these wonderful décor items for all your themed vignettes! I love your ambition to keep changing them. They are always delightful!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Oh Jann, you are amazing. Everything is done so perfect. Happy 24th dear friend. Hugs, Jo

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I like the way you do your themes. I used to do more of that when my girls were little but I have found that I no longer do. I decorate for the changing seasons a bit and for Christmas but other than that things don't change a whole lot around here. I missed you Share Your Cup linky this week....summer got in the way.

Nina said...

I wonder if my great-grandfather got his bees from your ancestors. He lived in Vernal and had bee-hives, too.

Tea in the Library said...

Knowing ones family history can help give one a wonderful grounded feeling don't you think? Your vignettes are have great visual impact. Each one tells a little story.
I like the top vig. with or without the lovely doily. But thinking how treasured something pretty would have been to a pioneer woman, and being a lovely gift from a friend, I like the vig. with, compared to the stark artistic beauty of the without. I will go for the sentimental every time.
Angels to you!

HWIT BLOGG said...

Oh so many lovely and beautiful thing´s...always so much inspiration to take a look at your fantastic blog!
Have a great sunday...

Titti

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

You've got an amazing knack for putting items together and making it look classy.

Creations By Cindy said...

Jann, I love it all. You always inspire me! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

CD Loken said...

I LOVE the way you decorated your mantel, Jann! Your vignettes are filled with such gorgeous treasures!!

Halle said...

I'm in love! You have a wonderful eye. All those interesting pieces work so well together.

Fran. said...

I enjoyed this post so very much!! You prove that you can have vintage in a new house and it looks very jazzy!! You are so clever and fun Jann!! Thanks for always sharing your house with us!! XOXO Love Fran.

Diana said...

I've never heard of Pioneer Day, Jann. I feel kinda left out. I guess it's a Midwestern holiday?! Love all your decorations, but that new piece you bought off of facebook (the printer tray?) is pretty amazing. I've never seen anything like it, and that green paint is awesome. Hope the rest of your week is great :)

Instagram